Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
PEFC is an international non-profit. non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting Sustainable Forest Management (SFM) through Forest and Chain of Custody independent third-party certification.
Forest certification assures that forests are managed in line with challenging environmental, social and economic requirements.
Chain of Custody certification enables certified material to be tracked from the forest to the final product.
PEFC is about the supply of Certified Product and Chain of Custody. which involves the tracking of wood products originating from certified forests through all phases of transformation to the end product used by consumers. This ensures that two views are covered – this being Sustainable Forest Management and sourcing of Wood & Paper Products as well as Legal Forest Management and sourcing of Wood & Paper Products.
PEFC is the World’s Largest forest certification system
- Over 3o nations certification systems endorsed.
- Over 259 million hectares of forests certified (roughly the size of Western Australia) with 498.433 forest owners worldwide.’
- There are two internationally recognised certification schemes in the world. PEFC and FSC. Both schemes are recognised by independent international bodies, UN. FAO etc as complying to international environmental, social and economic benchmarks, in addition PEFC has been recognised by the European Union Timber Regulation (EUTR) as evidence of legally sourced products.
To date more than 8000 companies have obtained PEFC Chain of Custody Certification’, with Solaris Paper being one of these companies.
PEFC’s Sustainability Benchmarks include requirements to:
- Safeguard ecologically important forest areas
- Protect and enhance biological diversity
- Prohibit forest conversions
- Prohibit most hazardous chemicals
- Prohibit genetically modified trees
- Respect the rights of workers and indigenous peoples
- Encourage local employment
- Comply with fundamental ILO conventions
- Provide consultation with local people and stakeholders
- Respect traditional land rights and local customs
What does this mean to me?
Thanks to its eco-label, customers and consumers are able to identify products from sustainably managed forests (Source: www.PEFC.org).
Solaris Paper products displaying the PEFC logo assures the consumer that the fibre is being sourced from suppliers who are certified to the PEFC Sustainable Forest Management.